Location: 16 East Boulevard, on the east side of the street, the second house from the corner of East Boulevard and Park Avenue, Rochester, Monroe County, New York
Present Owner and Occupant: Mrs. David Tinling
Present Use: Private residence
Statement of Significance: This well-preserved
typical example of Frank Lloyd Wright's famous prairie house is unique
in its completeness of an interior room. The dining room perhaps
summarizes the architect's rather radical concept of interior space in
PART I. HISTORICAL INFORMATION
2. Architect: Frank Lloyd Wright.
3. Original and subsequent owners: "... parts of lots eight and nine, in the Cornelia C. F. Smith tract ...
1919 Deed, June 1, 1919, Book 1062, p. 211.
From: Edward Everett Boynton.
To: J. Oswald Daily of Brockport
1922 Deed, June 13, 1922, Book 116.4, p. ~h6..
From: Florence Daily.
To: Harry B. Guilford.
1925 Deed, October 19, 1925, Book 1340, p. 545...
From: Harry B. Guilford and Mary F., his wife.
To: Francis M. Dailey.
1943 Deed, October 7, 1943, Book 2153, p. 397.
From: The Rochester Trust and Safe Deposit Company.
To: Arlene F. Howard.
5. Original plan and construction: The following are
the listing of the original drawings held by the Taliesen Foundation, Scottsdale,
Arizona. Blueprints of these are on file at the Society for the Preservation
of Landmarks in Western New York.
b. First floor plan
c. Second floor plan.
d. South elevation with footings. North elevation with footings.
e. East elevation, west elevation, both with footings, longitudinal section with footings, elevation of door.
f. Plan of window mullions; elevation of long windows on staircase; window frames, plaster jams; typical wall section; details of basement frames and basement> mullion; cross section of house; rear elevation of fireplace; basement partition; kitchen cases; living room elevation of fireplace; pitch of roof.
Edward Boynton was a very successful salesman and later partner
in the Hamilton Lantern Company of Rochester. He first heard of Wright
through Warren MacArthur, a business partner in the lantern company.
Wright had built one of his earliest houses for MacArthur in the Kenwood
district of Chicago in 1892. The Boyntons, Edward and his daughter,
Beulah, selected Wright as the architect of their home after giving brief
consideration to the work of Claude Bragdon, Rochester's leading modern
architect. Wright participated in the choice of the site and insisted
on the expensive addition of twenty-eight elm trees. Actually, Wright
closely supervised the construction of the Boynton House. During the year
in which it was built, Wright frequently and unexpectedly arrived at the
site. Once there, he would never leave the house during his stay,
which often lasted two or three days. Generally speaking, the Boyntons
were some of Wright's more affluent clients. The total cost of the
house including the lot was $55,OOO in 1908. But perhaps the most significant
aspect of the architect-client relationship was the layman expertise and
interest exhibited by Beulah Boynton, for whom her father built the house.
Some of her design suggestions were incorporated into the structure and
furniture by Wright, including the adjustable backs of the Wright-designed
dining and lounge chairs. Like his other client of the same year,
Mrs. Avery Coonley of Riverside, Illinois, Beulah Boynton seems to have
established a certain rapport with Wright, which is reflected in the direct
supervision which the structure received. Beulah Boynton and her
husband of 1908 lived in the house until 1918 when they moved to New York.
When Wright visited the house in c. 1930, he seemed upset to discover that
the house he had designed for a spacious rural setting had been encroached
upon by nearly adjacent dwellings.
Eaton, Leonard K. Two Chicago Architects arid Their Clients. Cambridge: MIT Press, 1969.
Hitchcock, Henry-Russell. In the Nature of Materials:
The Buildings of Frank Lloyd Wright. New York:
Duell, Sloan, Pearce, Inc., 1942.
Rochester Times-Union, April 11, 1955.
PART II. ARCHITECTURAL INFORMATION
A. General Statement:
2. Condition of fabric: The structure has been maintained reasonably well. There is some cracking in the stucco due to settling and evidence of patching. The wood trim is in good condition with the exception of the water table boards which are cracked and rotted at the northwest corner.
2. Foundations: Rubblestone foundation walls are in good condition, approximately four feet, six inches in height and eighteen inches thick. Original outside foundation walls are heightened eight inches by. the addition of concrete block. Studs are cut and re-bridged on top of the block. Water table is constructed of butt-jointed boards with lower board battered outward.
3. Wall construction: The stucco covering of the wood frame is slightly textured, and was originally cream in color. The wood trim is dark brown. The exterior is banded by two inch by two-inch wood belt courses, continuous at the second story and broken in the first story. Belt course boards are butt-jointed and separated from the wall surface by one inch spacer blocks. The top of the belt course board is flush with the top of the windowsill.
5. Chimneys: The large single brick chimney at the center of the house is stuccoed above the roof line.
8. Porches, stoops, bulkheads: The major portion of
the original terrace porch was converted into a fountain room in 1914,
according to designs furnished by Wright. The original eight inch wide
porch parapet remains. The north entrance is approached by a broad, three
step concrete stoop. An open wood entrance porch to servants quarters
is located at the southeast corner of the house. The five step wood
stoop and porch are fitted with modern iron railings.
b. Second floor: The stairs terminate in an upstairs hall. An east-west corridor provides access to the bedrooms. To the west, the corridor ends in the master bedroom. Its bath and dressing room parallel the corridor to the north. The second large bedroom is located to the south side of the corridor, with its accompanying bath and dressing room also parallel to the east-west corridor. The third bedroom adjoins the stair tower to the north. The east end of the corridor opens to a bath on the south and a fourth bedroom to the east.
3. Flooring: All floors are finished with narrow oak boards except the tiled fountain room and baths. The kitchen floor, originally coved for ease in cleaning is covered with modern linoleum.
4. Wall and ceiling finish: All walls are painted plaster
over lath. There are cathedral ceilings in all except
the master suite. All first floor rooms contain a banding line of a one-inch by five-inch board, which runs continuously around the room, one foot, ten inches below the ceiling.
6. Special decorative features: Boxed and grilled radiator covers are located throughout the house. The massive hearth separating the living room from the hall is finished with Roman bricks, twelve inches by four inches by one and a half inches. The low concrete lintel tops the rectangular opening. The fireplace is finished with a projecting concrete base. The living room is fitted with low, glass doored bookcases along the north and south wa1ls, under the windows.
7. Hardware: Protective iron grilles are attached to the inside of the glass paneled doors of the dining room, back hall and servants entrance. Doorknobs and door-handles, kitchen and pantry drawer pulls, and bookcase knobs are original and Wright-designed. All window hardware and casement latches are original.
b. Lighting: Enclosed recessed lighting is located behind leaded glass panels in the fountain room. Single recessed lights are located behind small tinted glass panels found in the vestibule; upstairs hall and in all corridor ceilings. Original rectangular wall fixtures in brass and oak are extant throughout the house.
4. Walks: A walk parallels the driveway on the north
side of the house. Beginning at East Boulevard, it terminates at
the entrance stoop. Another walk approaches the southeast corner
stoop from the driveway.
PART III. PROJECT INFORMATION
This recording. project of twenty-six selections of historical and architecturally significant Rochester structures was undertaken in 1966, by the Society for the Preservation of Landmarks in Western New York,. Inc., Mrs. Patrick Harrington, Executive Director, in cooperation with the Historic American Buildings Survey, James C. Massey; Chief. The project was under the general direction of John Poppeliers,. Senior Historian. Architectural and historical descriptions were contributed by the Society for the Preservation of Landmarks in Western New York, Inc. General photographic documentation was undertaken by Hans Padelt, Senior Engineer, Graflex, on a contractual basis with the Historic American Buildings Survey. The final documentation and editing was done by Susan R. Siade in 1978, for transmittal to the Library of Congress and the impending publication of the Historic American Buildings Survey New York State catalogue.